Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Christmas Carol and other Christmas concerts and events

Hi Gals,

This cold weather is getting me in the mood for Christmas. I thought I'd pass along information about these Christmas events I've been researching. I'd love to hear about any other Christmas events you know about.

1. Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol is playing at the American Shakespeare Tavern. My hubby and I love this place. It's in downtown Atlanta across the street from Crawford Long Hospital. Very professional and fun actors, and they serve British-style pub food (I recommend the shepherd's pie).

Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol
Directed by Tony Brown
December 4-21
Additional 7:30pm performances Tuesday December 16 & Wednesday December 17
Tickets range from $20-$24, but if you're a PBA member, you can use your PBA Advantage Card and get 2-for-1 tickets (except the last week of the show).

"Full of music and laughter, love and family, this show is designed to put you in the holiday Spirit! We bring it back every year as a gift to you and yours."

2. Another place to see A Christmas Carol is at the Newnan Community Theater.
- A Christmas Carol -Musical - Magical - Comical, and Funny! ~ Traditional with a modern twist!

Nov 28, 29, 30 and Dec 5, 6, 7*, 12, 13, 14
Fri, Sat - 8 pm | Sun matinee - 2:30 pm
$10 kids, $15 adult

The only experience I've ever had with the Newnan Community Theater was 8 years ago, when I reserved tickets for my husband and I for this same play. We hired our babysitter and set out to the play, but when we showed up at the theater, they didn't have any seats left for us, even though I'd already paid/reserved our seats. So we left and haven't been back since. This being said, it's been 8 years, so hopefully they've gotten a little more professional. It does make me wonder that they describe the play as a comedy, and they use too many exclamation points--hmmm.

3. And yet another option to seeing the play A Christmas Carol is at Trinity Fellowship Church (the church behind Collector's Corner in Sharpsburg). They call it The Gospel According to Scrooge, Dec. 4-7, and it's free. My gym instructor goes to this church and invited us to it a few years ago. It was well done, just be prepared for some missionary zeal on their part at the end--people getting saved and all. You would need (free) tickets to the play, so just stop by their church office. It deviates from the original story with a more religious spin on it--I prefer the orginal play better.

4. Here's a free holiday concert at The Center for Performing Arts in Newnan by the Army Ground Forces Jazz Guardians:
Date: December 6th
Time: 7 pm
Description: Holiday Concert featuring the Jazz Guardians from Ft. McPherson, GA in Big Band holiday classics.
Cost: Free admission

5. Nutcracker: The Nutcracker used to be performed at The Center for Performing Arts, but not this year. My friend's daughter will be in Le Petit Nutcracker at the CDT dance studio off Hwy. 34 (behind CVS pharmacy). It's just the highlights of the ballet, about an hour long. It's done in their studio so there's no stage, but they will have their full costumes and some scenery. It's Dec. 6 and Dec. 13, $8 admission (no one under one). Some of us in the Newnan Ward are taking our daughters to it (anyone is welcome to join us). There are only seats for 50 people at each performance, so our daughters will be able to see it up close. I've also heard there's the full version of The Nutcracker somewhere in Fayetteville.

6. The Messiah: I am still looking for a choral performance of The Messiah in the area. My husband and I saw it performed a few years ago at a bapist church, and it was outstanding. But I can't find any local venues for it this year. Let me know if you know!

No comments: