After seeing Mommy do a few races, E & El wanted some medals of their own. One of my good running friends got us into doing some fun runs, kids' runs, tot trots, elf runs, or whatever you want to call those very short runs full of very short people. I have to tell you, my kids love them. And it makes a really fun Saturday morning. They routinely ask me when the next race is and the really great part is that they also ask to go for short runs to "practice."
There are some super races in the area with well organized runs and fun expos. I've discussed them with Laura who had concerns that Jake is too small to run these. In case you haven't done one before, many races have very young age groups so the tots are running with kids their own size and at distances they can more than handle. Of course, we always run with our kids. We've actually done several where I thought that the kids run longer distances down the hallway in the house. Many races welcome strollers - - so even the babies can participate!
We have two on the calendar for the rest of this year:
The CVS Strong Legs Run - Saturday, Novemeber 8th
This one is at Turner Field - convenient for south-of-towners. They have several races from which to choose. For adults, there is a 5K or 10K. For the family, there is a 2K. For the kids, there is a 75 yard race and a mascot run (my friend's really small daughter has run this and she says it is hilarious because some of the kids are scared of the mascots and the run turns into a paniced run... I'm sure Ellie will eat it up).
The 21st Annual Jingle Jog - Saturday, December 13th
We did this one last year and loved it. They have great sponsors. 5K with jingle bells for adults. 1K for older kids and a really short elf run for the small kids. The elf run is ridiculously short. The race is at the Perimeter Costco (by Sweet Tomatoes). There are lots of dogs and strollers milling about.
Some others to consider include:
The U.S. Classic
We missed it this year's Labor Day weekend, but last year it was awesome (pic above). Two different lengths for the different age groups. Superior sponsors and fun expo.
The Publix Tot Trot
For 2009, the location is not yet determined, but last year it was at Atlantic Station. My son is all about the hardware and most kids' races only hand out tee-shirts and ribbons. This one gives medals to all finishers. It was well organized and Publix is always an awesome sponsor.
The Jonquil City Jog
Ok, I know no one is doing this one, but I live in Smyrna - so I had to include it.
The Peachtree Junior and the Thanksgiving One-Miler
The Atlanta Track Club has a one-miler associated with their famous TGiving Day Marathon & 1/2, and a two-miler associated with the Peachtree Road Race. These are only open to 7-12 year-olds, so we are thinking about the PT Jr. for Ethan in '09.
There are so many of these and I am sure you can find lots more. Many major road races have kids' races associated with them.
I would love for anyone to join us at Strong Legs or the Jingle Jog. Or we can join you if you sign up for another one.
3 comments:
Hi pretty sister of Laura--thanks for the information. My 7-year-old daughter has asked to run races before, so now I know where to find them. I'll check out the one at Turner Field.
Hi pretty Wendy! Let me know if you guys go... it will be so fun.
Just to add to this. There are TONS of races right here is PTC. Almost all of the Elementary Schools in PTC sponser a 5k run to raise money for their PTO's. Laura, my kids, and I are going to be doing the Peachtree City Elementary Jingle Bell Trail 5K run in December. It's a BLAST! And they have a kids mile run right before the race, too.
Post a Comment