Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Family Traditions
Hope ya'll don't mind me posting this. Family traditions has been on my mind lately. I have made a list of some of our family traditions and realized we need more. I want the kids to be able to take these traditions with them to their families. So, I am curious to find out what are some of your family traditions that you have (whether it be when growing up or now). Thanks Shay
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
There are many at the Plauche house... I'll list what I can think of off the top of my head:
Pumpkin Carving Contest in October
Singing Happy Birthday Plauche Style (screaming off key at the top of your lungs)
Dessert Contest at Thanksgiving
Poem Contest at Thanksgiving
Driving around to see lights on Christmas Eve - after reading about Christ's birth
Drawing Names at Christmas
White Elephant gift exchange (dangerous with kids who are expecting nice gifts)
New last year was a family 5K on Thanksgiving
Book Club - for the adults
Skipping school on birthdays and shopping with Mom
Plauche Cousins Christmas Ball - special slumber party for the numerous cousins
Laura ~ What am I forgetting?
Thank you! Those sound great! We will have to try some of those out.
Ummm...I think Karen named all the ones that I would have been able to think of. In Stan's family, the kids always got their favorite cereal on their birthday. We had a tooth fairy pillow growing up, which was kind of fun.(I think a lot of families do that though) We had Dr. Obiliger (sp?). (One of the kids would dress up crazy and hand out rewards to all the members of the family for things that they had done.) We had family court for disputes and it was fun for the kids to decide what was fair and make up the jury. There are probably more.
We have 12 days of Christmas, that everyone in my family has kept up. Green EVERYTHING on St Patrick's Day, my maiden name is Kirkpatrick so we get a little carried away. Strings tied to Easter baskets. I was born on Father's Day so my dad and I try to go on a fishing trip each year around that time. Grandpa breakfasts when the grandkids sleep over (a huge breakfast with too much food, but everyone is happy).
Sorry, I got carried away!
Okay, We have a couple.
*Every time we enter Walt Disney World Property, everyone in the car raises their arms above their head and says,"Yeah!" And when we leave, we all say, "Awww." This started when Harrison was 3; and we've all done it ever since no matter who is or isn't in the car for that particular trip. I even asked Harry and Harrison if they did it on their "Guys trip" last year. Harrison said, "Why wouldn't we? It's tradition."
*Every year on Christmas Eve we have potato soup and rolls for dinner. It started our first Christmas in our house. And then, we read the Polar Express.
*Every year on Christmas Eve we all get new pajamas to wear that night.
*When I was growing up, we went to Cedar Point Amusement Park every summer with my grandparents and my cousins.
*Also, we would act out the Nativity every year at Christmas...I hated this one, so I don't do it anymore :c). We read the Nativity story instead--after the new jammies :c)
Okay so you know my mom Shay so you know we have traditions and they are wacky but my most sane and favorite is that each year at thanksgiving we have the same tablecloth and we write something they are thankful for that year. It isn't a very pretty tablecloth anymore but it is so fun to see it every year.
And then every year for New's Year's Eve the grandkids spend the night with my mom and at Midnight they wash their feet in the tub. My mom and her siblings used to do that each year I think for luck now just for fun.
Post a Comment