In my quest to become more prepared, I bought a steam washer that I have had my eye on lately. I think that I am more concerned about hygiene conditions should we come to a point where we are hunkering down in our basements with no power. I just received the Wonder Clean Steam Washer that uses steam power to clean items while you spin the container with a crank arm. I tried it out on a dress I had to buy for Ellie to be a flower girl; she smeared chocolate into it at the reception. The washer worked well on the chocolate that was dried into the dress for quite too long. Here's my before and after of the dress:
I like my new gadget and it can be useful before the power grid implosion, but I think the design is good - not great. You can get it at BePrepared.com.Pros v. Cons:
Pros ~ lightweight, great for delicates and one-offs when one item needs to be cleaned immediately (maybe handy with our uniform situation at school), uses very little water and detergent, could use while camping, could use during temporary power outage, steaming process seemed effective, fairly inexpensive (about $50), tap water (for me) hot enough for most materials (about 130 degrees)
Cons ~ base is not weighted so unit can shift during spinning process, top is a little clumsy to put on, main container not weighted to keep opening on top when loading or unloading
Overall ~ could be convenient but certainly not vital. I like it because I like cool gadgets and I'm not going down to the creek with a washboard :D.
And I can't resist.......

3 comments:
What a pretty photo of your little girl. About the steam washer, that is so cool. I didn't even know something like that existed, and $50 is way cheaper than I imagined it would cost. Thanks for the info!
Interesting post with good info and analysis. thanks. And I agree Ellie looks beautiful.
Having been a Family Preparedness Coordinator before, I've seen these in the catalogs. I wondered if they worked. Thanks for letting us know...great information.
Post a Comment