Thursday, October 9, 2008

Great Series of Books for Kids (and kids at heart)

There is a great new series of books by auther Rick Riordan called Percy Jackson and the Olympians. There are currently four books in the series with a fifth one coming in May of 2009
They are:
The Lightning Thief
The Sea of Monsters
The Titans Curse
The Battle of the Labyrinth (I just finished this one)

The thing I love about these books is they are all about mythology. I used to LOVE mythology as a kid. So, reading these books has been a real treat. The premise behind the series is this:
What if the gods of Olympus were alive in the 21st Century? What if they still fell in love with
mortals and had children who might become great heroes--like Theseus, Jason and Hercules?
What if you were one of those children?
Such is the discovery that launches twelve-year-old Percy Jackson on the most dangerous quest of his life. With the help of a satyr and a daughter of Athena, Percy must journey across the United States to catch a thief who has stolen the original weapon of mass destruction--Zeus’ master bolt. Along the way, he must face a host of mythological enemies determined to stop him. Most of all, he must come to terms with a father he has never known, and an Oracle that has warned him of betrayal by a friend.

Of course, it is all make believe, but it teaches mythology at the same time. They are even having a Mythology Bee for kids ages 10-15. Click on the link to find out more about the bee and the books. These are great books for boys and girls alike. If you liked the Harry Potter series, you'll enjoy these books.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hi! I was just blog-surfing and ran across your review of Riordan's Olympian series. The kids in my school LOVE it - I'm the Library Media Specialist. ANYWAY, Riordan has a new series coming out called 39 clues. It's interactive --- so look for it as well. I haven't read it yet, but everyone who has L O V E S it!!

Wendy said...

Looks great. Thank you for the info!