Jaimee,
You asked for bread recipes . . . my friend Symony in my ward gave me this bread recipe last month and it's so good, and full of healthy stuff. It is kind of complex--not a simply ingredient recipe, but I think it's well worth it. It makes about 3 loaves--I baked one when I made it and froze the other two loaves of dough--then a few weeks later I let them thaw and raise and they baked up just fine. My kids and hubby will eat the bread, even though it's a little crunchy from the seeds and grains.
2 1/2 cups water
2 TBS oil
1/3 cup honey or molasses
2 1/4 tsp salt
Here's where I just start adding stuff: (three or 4 handfuls) quick oats, (1/4 cup) flax seed, (1/4 cup) sesame seeds, (1 handful)wheat bran, (3/4 cup) pumpkin seeds, quinoa (pre-cooked is best 1 1/2 cups cooked or 1/2 cups raw)
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/3 cups bread flour (Has to be bread flour)
2 tsp or one pkg quick rise yeast
I use bread machine on the dough setting. I might add a little more water as the dough is mixing for the first time if I think the dough will be too dry. Just eyeball it. Take the dough out when it is done and make into two or three round balls. Let rise again for 30 minutes in a cold oven then bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Tips: Wheat bran is at Kroger in the health food section--Bob's Red Mill. Pumpkin seeds are in the produce section at Kroger by the specialty nuts and seeds. Haven't found either of them at Walmart. Quinoa is in the health/organic section of Kroger, down low by the rice in a turquoise box. Also found in the Publix health/organic section. Make sure you don't add too much or too little water--watch the dough as it mixes and add enough water to make a sticky dough.
Wendy's P.S: For the flour, I use straight whole wheat flour--it's the white wheat instead of red, which is a lot lighter so it doesn't need to be mixed with any white or bread flour, and white wheat has the same nutritional components as red wheat. I bought the white wheat a few years ago at the cannery in 25 lb. bags for pretty cheap.
I used sunflower seeds instead of pumpkin and Bob's Red Mill multigrain cereal in addition to the other grains mentioned. Also, quinoa is the key ingredient to the bread. If you're not familiar with quinoa, click here on Julie's blog post about it. I love quinoa, but that's a whole 'nother post sometime.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for the head's up. I don't know if I am up to finding all of the "multigrains" to put in this bread, but I will definitely think about it. I will let you know how it turns out!
Post a Comment